Possum Control in Newcastle
Hearing noises in your roof? Then you could possibly have a possum living in your roof.
A roof void is an attractive place for a possum to live as it provides warmth and somewhere safe and dark to sleep.
What can be done if you suspect you have a possum in the roof?
The first thing is to call Amalgamated Pest control and we can attend your home and do a site assessment and determine if it is a possum in your roof or not, as quite often our technicians attend jobs in regards to a report of noises in the roof and it quite often turns out to be rats or mice and not a possum.
If we do actually find or see evidence of a possum in your roof then we will discuss the next step with you to be ensure the best results for you home and of course the possum.
If trapping needs to occur we will organise to place a possum trap in the ceiling to trap and release the possum and we can do some minor proofing to stop the possum returning and recommendations will also be given.
Possums are protected in NSW. There are some very strict steps that need to happen under the guidelines of the Office of Environment & Heritage (National Park & Wildlife).
Basic guidelines are:
- The possum must be captured live and released back onto the property on which is was captured unharmed.
Possums are very territorial animals and if they are relocated to another location is increases the risk of the possum not surviving. To be released within 150M of original capture.
- The possum has to be released after sunset, preferably against a structure they can immediately climb.
- Trapping only to be perform if licensed with Office of Environment & Heritage (National Park & Wildlife)
Amalgamated Pest Control Newcastle is licensed.
The capture or otherwise harming of possums other than by a licensed person or commercial catch and release possum handler is illegal.
A recent possum rescue
Recently we attended a commercial building where the staff were hearing noises in the roof and the walls.
We attended and after a site assessment it was discovered that the possum had fallen into the wall void and had become stuck and was unable to get out.
Now this was an extreme situation where a hole had to be cut in the wall by a builder to help release the possum from where it was trapped. The builder cut a hole in the wall and the possum trap was placed over the hole and the possum was in such a hurry to get out of there he ran straight into the trap.
The possum was then taken to a local vet for assessment and was given a clean bill of health and was later returned to the area where the possum was from originally. You don’t want this to happen your home and the repair bill could be very costly.
Helpful tips to help keep Possums from entering your home:
- Trim or cut back any branches that are overhanging your roof to allow at least 3 metres clearance.
- Place possum proofing around the base of trees near your home
- Seal up any access points in the roof and replace any missing roof tiles
- Provide a suitable home for the possum in the form of a sturdy weatherproof possum box and placing it high enough from the ground so that the possum will be out of reach of dogs and cats. The box should not face towards the afternoon sun and be safely secured using a sturdy wire or chain to the tree.
If you would like to make you own possum box for you back yard you can find instructions on how to make one on the Office of Environment & Heritage website.
Worried about Possums or other pests?
If you are hearing noises in your roof, don’t wait!
Give Amalgamated Pest Control Newcastle a call today! (02) 4488 4019